Tickets: Music Deal £22.50 Ticket per person £3.00
From jazz beginnings to alt-folk and electronica, Stuart McCallum is one of the most vital and creative musicians of his generation. An in-demand guitarist, composer, producer and educator.
Stuart’s current projects include:
• The Breath - signed to Peter Gabriel’s Real World Records, the duo of Stuart and vocalist Rioghnach Connolly was nominated for Best Act at the BBC Folk Awards.
• Solitude - a series of solo acoustic guitar albums released on renowned UK jazz label, Edition
• Music for Imaginary Film - a series of cinematic-inspired albums co-written with Mark Slater.
• Richard Spaven - co-writing and performing with the well known UK drummer
• Research - Stuart’s research interests are practice-based approaches to contemporary music performance, composition and production. He completed his musical composition doctorate,
‘Making Music in the Real World’, in 2020.
• Education - Stuart is Deputy Head of Popular Music at the Royal Northern College of Music.
Stuart rose to prominence writing for and playing with the Cinematic Orchestra, on their MaFleur and Live at the Royal Albert Hall albums, as well as on their award winning Disney soundtrack, The Crimson Wing.
Stuart’s varied career has involved collaborations with electronic artists such as Jordan Rakei, James Zoo, JP Cooper and Bjork percussionist Manu Delago; performances with UK jazz greats John Surman and Kenny Wheeler; recordings with American jazz stars Ari Hoenig, Ira Coleman and Dan Weisz; and performances with prominent folk artists, such as Danny Thompson and Michael McGoldrick.
‘A one-man guitar orchestra’ - Mark Radcliffe, BBC Radio 2
‘Master guitarist McCallum's music is heaven sent. Beautifully crafted, warm blooded, folk and jazz
inspired magical stuff....' WRITTEN IN MUSIC